Sunday, May 13, 2012

Switzerland March 7-11, 2012

I never give up an opportunity to visit Switzerland and so, I joined Pat and
some colleagues in early March when they held meetings at a business hotel west of the city near the university, right on the Metro line. Some views of The Alps as we approach Geneva from The Swiss jet on March 7th:












The following day, I went into Lausanne by Métro to explore some of my favorite old haunts. It was a dull, cloudy and rainy day so I didn't bother with any pictures, however I did enjoy the City of Lausanne museum in La Vieille Ville near the Cathedral followed by a lovely lunch in a little Italian bistro nearby. In the evening I went back to the city to join my old school friend, Silvia, and her family for a delicious dinner in their very pretty home up on the hill. She and I first met in 1968 at the Collège Secondaire du Bélvédère.

Pat was finished his meeting by Friday lunchtime, so we left for Neuchâtel via the old Roman city of Aventicum, now Avenches in French, where we had a lovely lunch. Below the Roman amphitheater, still used for city spectacles, particularly an Opera Festival in July with 12,000 in attendance!





City hall in Avenches:




The main square:




The town Church, originally Roman Catholic and now Protestant:













We checked into our hotel in Neuchâtel, La Maison du Prussien, by late afternoon, spending two nights here. It was at one time a local brewery, now with a wonderful restaurant where we dined the first night.





Our corner room on the second floor:




View from our room: train tracks and a babbling brook:


More later...

Location:Lausanne and Neuchâtel

No comments:

Post a Comment